66th North Carolina State Troops

team-photo

N-SSA Seniority number 169TW

This Regiment was organized by General James G. Martin in August 1863 at Kinston North Carolina and consisted of 10 companies. The Eighth Battalion of Partisan Rangers, consisting of 6 companies was combined with the Fourth Battalion, consisting of 4 companies. Upon the organization of these 10 companies into the 66th North Carolina Regiment, A. Duncan Moore, who commanded a battery of light infantry from Wilmington, was made it's Colonel. Colonel Moore, a graduate of West Point, was a Brilliant young officer of remarkable appearance and soldierly bearing. The regiment primarily performed its duties in Virginia and North Carolina, south of the James River as part of Hoke's Division. It started out at 1100 strong and at wars end had been reduced to less than 100 men who were paroled on May 2, 1865. These valient men from the " The Old North State" returned to their homes untarnished even though their old flag had retired in blood and tears.

Today's modern counterpart was formed from men, primarily from Lenoir County, just as its namesake, and now has active members from North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland. The re-activated company, officially designated, 66th North Carolina State Troops Company "C", was formed in the early 70?s" by the efforts of its first team Commander , James F. Cauley, great grandson of its original 2nd Sergeant, James Cauley. The organization's goal is to promote a competitive spirit with men of upright bearing. The 66th North Carolina lays claim to several National Championship teams as well as having a number of its members honored as N-SSA Distinguished Shooters. This Company participates in all phases of competition, including Canon. The proud heritage of the brave Confederate men of the 66th North Carolina continues today through the men of its N-SSA Company.

If you would like information about 66th North Carolina, or have questions, please send us e-mail.

Back to Tidewater Home Page