Lenoir Braves

April-2012sm

LENOIR BRAVES (1967 - 2013)

N-SSA Seniority Number 143-TW

The N-SSA version of the Lenoir Braves was organized in October, 1967 and placed in the Tidewater Region. The Unit inspection was performed in l968 at the 37th N-SSA Nationals. At that time the Unit included transfer members from the Washington Grays plus some local Lenoir County boys. It was an eight-man Unit with Jim Jordon as the first Unit Commander. The first new recruit, who is still a member of the Braves, is the great-great-grandson of Captain William Sutton. Perhaps the modern Lenoir Braves are best known for hosting the popular “Hogpen Skirmishes” held near Deep Run, NC during the mid-l980"s. The Lenoir Braves currently include members from Eastern North Carolina, Tidewater Virginia & the Christiansburg Virginia area.

Commander: Jack McCowan, mccowangang@hotmail.com

Adjutant: Mike Seymour, mvseymour@live.com

Pay Master: Lyle Holland, wahotyger@embarqmail.com

Statistics Officer: Tommy Howard, wthwth22@gmail.com


LENOIR BRAVES (1861 - 1865)

The Lenoir Braves were organized in Lenoir County, NC in June 1861, mustered in and ordered to Fort Hatteras. Captain William Sutton was the first Unit Commander. The Unit was loosely attached as 1st Company K, 32nd Regiment NC Troops. The Company was captured at Fort Hatteras on August 29, 1861 during invasion by the Burnside Expedition. After its capture the Company was sent to Governor"s Island, NY Harbor until November 1, 1861 when confined at Fort Warren, Boston Harbor, Mass. In December 1861 a portion of the depleted Company was paroled & exchanged, and in early January 1862 the rest of the Company was paroled & exchanged.

Survivors were reorganized and assigned as Company A, 3rd Regiment NC Artillery, 40th Regiment NC Troops. A detachment was ordered to New Bern in January, 1862 and Company A was stationed at Fort Lane on the Neuse River below New Bern where it remained until New Bern was evacuated on March, 14-15, 1862. Upon falling back to Kinston, the Company was detailed to provost guard duty in early April 1862 in Wilmington, NC and, upon arriving, was sent to Fort Fisher. Company A remained there until transferred to Fort Holmes, Smith Island in December, 1863; It was ordered to Wilmington on May 21, 1864 and to Kenansville on June 2 where it stayed until June 26, when it returned to Camp Lamb near Wilmington. It remained there until October 31, 1864 when it was transferred to Fort Anderson, Brunswick County. It was at Fort Anderson until it was evacuated after heavy fighting on February 19, 1865. After being part of the rear guard action at Town Creek, the Unit retired through Wilmington toward Masonboro Sound on February 22 and was engaged in a "lively" skirmish at Northeast River. From there Confederate forces retired to Duplin Cross Roads and went into camp at Rockfish Creek. Here orders were received to proceed to Kinston to meet the Federals advancing from New Bern.

The Unit arrived at Kinston, NC on March 7th, 1865 and helped drive the Federals from the field on March 8th in the opening of the Battle of Wyse Fork, the 2nd largest civil war battle in NC after Bentonville. The last mass capture of Federal troops in the war by Confederates occurred during this part of the battle. The Unit was also involved in an unsuccessful flank attack by Hoke"s Division on March 10, 1865. It was then withdrawn to Goldsboro on March 12th, from there to Smithfield and then to Bentonville where the entire Regiment, including Company A, was heavily engaged as infantry on March 19 – 21, 1865. Here they fought as Infantry and are referred to in Federal reports as “The Red Infantry” (due to the red artillery stripes on their uniforms). The Regiment suffered severely at Bentonville and, during subsequent retreat of the Army, most of the Regiment was surrendered on April 26, 1865 at Bennett Place in Durham County. Shortly thereafter, the war ended and survivors of Company A returned to Lenoir County.

Back to Tidewater Home Page